Believe it or not, a healthy and active lifestyle can be an amazing way to bond with your partner or spouse. My husband and I both share a passion for health and fitness, and here are some ways that we incorporate that passion into our romantic life:
1. Cook together. When you’re staying healthy, there can be lots of cook and prep time involved. Take advantage of this by doing it together. Open a bottle of wine and talk about life while chopping veggies, side by side.
2. Take walks. Walks are a way my husband and I connect in the midst of busy work schedules and juggling three kids. It gives us a chance to discuss our day, hold hands, and decompress any stresses together. In the process, we’re also both counteracting all the sitting we do while working. Here are 21 ways to stay healthy in the workplace.
3. Try new sports or activities together. Sign up in a co-ed sports league, like soccer or softball. My husband and I tried rock-climbing together and it was a great bonding experience requiring a lot of teamwork, support, and trust. It was also a KILLER workout. Bowling is another fun activity you could try together.
4. Have a foodie tasting date. Go to the grocery store and pick up some new healthy foods you’ve been wanting to try. Prepare all the food together, sit down in front of a roaring fire, taste and discuss. Some favorites we’ve discovered together: raw cheeses, pomegranates, shiitake mushrooms. Maybe you could try some foods from this healthy grocery list.
5. Enjoy some friendly competition. Race each other, see who can do more pushups, measure who has the highest vertical leap. My husband and I enjoy racing up hills at the park on our evening walks.
6. Work out together. Not everyone has the flexibility or schedule to be able to do this one, but if you can, it’s such a great way to bond. Spot each other on the weight rack, run together, run obstacle courses or relays. Working out together teaches you to support each other, and will push you to work just a little harder.
7. Have playtime. Wrestle, play laser tag or shoot water guns, have tickle fights, play hide and seek. The more childish you can get, the better. Read more about making exercise your playtime.
8. Partner up for races. Run 5K’s or even do something really different like a mud run. Crossing the finish line together is an experience like no other and makes victories that much sweeter. Here’s a training plan for running your first 5K.
9. Take a camping weekend. Take a weekend to get away from it all. Go hiking together during the day, enjoy some healthy grilling, and relax together under the stars at night.
10. Go dancing. Hit up the dance clubs together every now and then, or you could even sign up for dance lessons and make it a weekly event.
11. Ride bikes. One of my favorite memories of my life is biking the city of San Francisco with my husband. We saw the most beautiful sites from a completely different perspective, and at the end of the bike trip had racked up 17 miles.
12. Reap the benefits of good health in bed. Good health improves your sex life substantially. Read more about how being healthy improves your sex life, and enjoy!
13. Go to a wine tasting. Wine is healthy in moderation, hooray! Local wineries offer wine tastings quite frequently. This is a super romantic date night, and you can learn all about different types of wine together. Read more here about alcohol and weight loss.
14. Massage each other. Give each other massages to aid in workout recovery (and because it feels great). Beware that this can lead to #12, so two for the price of one: WIN. Here are 10 more muscle recovery tips for improved performance.
15. Stretch each other. This may sound strange, but my husband and I discovered stretching each other on vacation once. We took turns holding stretches for each other and much like massage, this helps with recovery, and again, feels amazing. You could also try couples yoga.
16. Start an organic garden together. My husband and I dream of growing our own healthy food together. Someday I imagine us outdoors in the sun, working together in our garden, gathering our own vegetables and fruit, and enjoying them together.
What healthy activities do you do with your partner? How do you stay healthy AND romantic together?